Wednesday, September 26, 2012

self portraits in loudun, france




I've been harboring a lot of creative energy - and summer trips, obligations, and travel have taken me away from the world of textiles - at least temporarily. But a camera, coupled with many late nights and lazy afternoons, gave me an opportunity to explore my world a little bit -- while in Loudun, France.

France was wonderful. I had the chance to spend time with my sisters, my mother, and myself -- and away from the one person who sees me the most. This sort of change conjures up many feelings and thoughts.

My family and I stayed in a chateaux that belonged to a Saint who was martyred in Vietnam for his faith - beheaded and cut to pieces. The house still belongs to his distant family and the town is decorated with his name and figure. While there, I explored several series of self-portraits using a self-timer and the occasional help from my sister, Ellen. I'm not really sure how to introduce the few I chose to share... but they all harbor a strong emotional response I had to the spaces that I was in. 

Possibly some normal travel photos to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment