Monday, January 30, 2012

takes me back..



One of the things that gets me feeling most nostalgic about South America - aside from sunshine - is maracuya. I've been finding it, on occasion, at my local New Seasons. Although it's $12.99/lb (cough, cough), the secret is that the more decrepit looking and light in weight this little guy gets, the better! Everyone seems to be buying them when they are purple and weigh as much as an orange. Not me. I wait until I see the last strangler from across the produce department, looking like something rescued out of the compost. As I swoop it up, I laugh under my breath thinking how everyone else passed this up! I mix the gooey black-seeded and pulpy innards with a mango in the blender - and YUM. Used to live on the stuff.



No comments:

Post a Comment